Umbrella Coverage Information
What is personal umbrella insurance?
Personal umbrella insurance provides coverage beyond your homeowner or auto policy by adding an extra layer of liability coverage. Coverage is provided in amounts of $1,000,000 increments. Umbrella insurance also covers situations that may not be covered by another policy such as slander or libel.
The umbrella policy coverage "kicks in" where you’re existing coverage ends, up to limit of the umbrella policy purchased.
Personal Umbrella Protection covers:
- Operating most motor vehicles, including cars, RV’s, motorcycles, pickup trucks, and most watercraft
- Incidents involving any property covered by your basic homeowners policy.
- Incidents alleging slander, libel, defamation of character, invasion of privacy, even false arrest.
- Business liability coverage is provided if covered by your basic homeowners policy.
Do you need a Personal Umbrella Policy ?
If you do not have a personal umbrella policy, you would pay the following costs out of your pocket if it exceeds liability coverage on your underlying home and auto insurance policies :
1. Serious auto accident where the injured party sustains injuries, lost wages, final expenses, rehabilitation costs above what you have on your auto insurance policy would be paid by you.
2. Firearm accidents - Stand your ground and concealed weapons laws have increased the visibility of liability resulting from the use of firearms.
3. Frivolous lawsuits - even if you are not negligent, anyone can be brought into a lawsuit. A personal umbrella will pay for defense costs. The average cost to defend a frivolous lawsuit is $25,000 to 30,000.
4. Social media - An innocent social media post can bring on a personal injury claim where you or your children would need to defend yourself against claims of slander, character defamation or libel.
5. Swimming pool and trampoline accidents - if a guest drowns or injures themselves in your pool, you would pay out of pocket for the excess liability above your homeowners policy. Same for trampoline accidents.
6. Teenage drivers in the household could give you another reason to increase your liability coverage while they are still inexperienced drivers.
7. Dog bite lawsuits are more common than you think. You may want to protect your assets if you have a dog.
8. Do you host parties on your property serving liquor? Hosts may want to protect themselves in case a guest causes an alcohol related accident?
Here are some reasons to obtain better liability coverage to protect your assets.
Umbrella policies for $1M of total coverage start at 120/year for one driver, one vehicle and one home. Your rate may vary so contact us for a final quote so we can provide you affordable umbrella coverage for the unexpected.
Suzanne Brown Insurance Agency
A Texas Independent Insurance Agency with over 40 insurance carriers