- specific cancellation rules are stipulated on the policy
- In Texas and other states, insurer may not cancel after 60 days (with 10 days written notice to insured) except for:
- non-payment of premium (requires 10 days notice)
- fraud and other violations (requires 30 days notice)
- the insurer must provide a written notice to the insured explaining the reasons for the cancellation
- the insured may cancel any insurance policy at any time for any reason; the insurance company will refund any unearned premium on a pro rata basis
NOTE: the insurer may cancel a policy within 60 days of its purchase without any reason for cancellation required.