Call Us Call or Email Us Today
Homeowners Insurance HOME Read More
Auto Insurance AUTO Read More
Renters Insurance RENTERS Read More
Business Insurance BUSINESS Read More
Life Insurance LIFE Read More
Watercraft Insurance WATERCRAFT Read More

Were you in an accident caused by the other driver?

As in any accident, move your car out of the way safely if you can and call 911 if there are injuries. If you think the other driver was at fault, here are some tips to keep in mind.
auto accident

1 After the accident

Get the other driver's license plate number and their insurance information. Make sure you get policy number and the exact name of the company and not just the agent's name.

Get the names and contact information of any witnesses if possible. Make sure to get a copy of the police report if there is one. It's also helpful to take photos of the damage to the vehicles.

If the other driver isn't insured or left the scene, you may be able to file a claim on your own policy, depending on your coverage.

2 After you get home

Contact your agent or insurance company to let them know about the accident. Also contact the other driver’s insurance company to make sure the accident was reported to them.

The other driver’s insurance company should pay:

  • To repair or replace your car.
  • For a rental car while your car is being repaired.
  • Medical and hospital bills for you and your passengers.
  • For wages lost because of an injury.

The other driver’s company may ask you to get an estimate for the cost of the repair, or they may send out their own adjuster. You may have a separate adjuster for any medical claims.

3 If you have problems with your claim

If the costs are more than the other driver’s policy limits, you may be able to file on your own policy for the difference, depending on your coverage. Also, sometimes the insurance company decides that both drivers share fault and will only pay part of the claim.

  • If the other driver’s company won’t cover all your medical bills, file a claim for the difference with your health insurance. Another option is to file on your auto policy depending on the types of medical coverage you have.
  • If the other driver's policy won't cover the full cost of fixing your car, file on your own policy if you have collision or uninsured/underinsured coverage. You’ll have to pay your deductible, but your company may be able to recover that from the other driver or insurance company and pay you back.
  • If the other driver’s company has treated you unfairly, you can file a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance. Learn more about the type of complaints we can help with and the complaint process.

Suzanne Brown Insurance Agency

A Texas Independent Insurance Agency with over 100 insurance carriers


Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder