Although burglary is not something you can control, there are some preventative measures you can take in order to secure your home in the case of a burglary. Many burglars are usually scared off if they have to work in the light, if it takes them a long time to break in, or if they have to make a lot of noise while breaking in. Taking this information into consideration, follow the suggestions listed below to secure your home.
- Case your home like a burglar would. Evaluate the easiest points of entry and work on making that entrance burglar-resistant.
- Make sure your house is surrounded by lots of light by installing exterior lights and motion detectors.
- The use of simple things like padlocks, door and window locks, grates and bars can really make it difficult for burglars to break into your home.
- Invest in a home alarm.
- Make sure your valuables are hidden from burglars that can see inside your windows while casing your home.
- Assess the strength of your doors. The strength of your door is quite important regardless of the strength of the lock you are using.
- Make sure your locks are pick-resistant. When considering what kind of lock to buy for your door, consider a deadbolt which locks with a key from the outside and a thumb turn on the inside.
- Make sure you have proper home insurance coverage in case of an emergency.
To obtain free insurance quotes or better insurance coverage please contact an independent insurance agency like us who can offer multiple carriers.
Suzanne Brown Insurance Agency
A Texas Independent Insurance Agency with over 40 insurance carriers