Prepare a Home Inventory
Knowing what you own is important. There are many reasons to have a home inventory:
Taking a few extra minutes can save you money down the road. Here are some reasons:
- Insurance value
- Knowing how much you own will allow you to keep your insurance policy to insure for the full value of these items
- High value items (jewelry, collectibles, antiques, guns, fine arts, etc) should be scheduled (listed with value) separately on your policy to insure for full value. Otherwise these categories have sublimits on your base home insurance policy.
- Disaster recovery
- Flood, Hurricane, Tropical Storm, Theft, Water Leaks -
- If a natural disaster happens and a break-in, would you know the serial number, make and model of what was stolen or damaged. Do you have your receipts in a safe place ? It makes your insurance claims more complete so you do not forget what you own at a stressful time.
- If you have a burglary, knowing your serial number can help recover your items if your items were pawned off to a pawn shop because police officers can access serial numbers at pawn shops.
- Moving and Storage
- If you planning a move, an inventory of what you're moving will make sure the movers get all of your items there.
- Estate planning / Financial planning
- There may be items you want to leave to specific person so having an inventory is useful to start this list.
One way to make a home inventory is to:
Make a detailed written inventory with receipts or proof of ownership and pictures.
Write down :
- Date Purchased
- Serial numbers
- Make and model
- Location of the item
- Location where purchased
- Don't forget attics, safe deposit boxes, garages and storage units.
- Update your inventory yearly before hurricane season if you can or after gift giving season.
- Keep your inventory, insurance policies and other important documents in a safe deposit box (which is tax deductible) and keep a duplicate in a fire and water proof container in a second location on or off your premise.
Taking a few extra minutes to prepare can save you save money and time later.