Each year from the beginning of June to the end of November, Texas is at risk of being hit by hurricanes, flooding, and tropical storms. This year, take the necessary precautions to protect yourself and your family during hurricane season.
1. Take into account your proximity to the coast and possible evacuation routes, and learn these evacuation routes in advance in case of emergency. Also, know how to stay informed on weather situations in your area.
2. Next, prepare an emergency kit that consists of nonperishable food, water, and a First Aid Kit. This emergency kit could come in handy if your power goes out or if the weather prevents you from leaving your house to purchase necessities.
3. Make sure you have a quick and easy way to contact family members in case of an emergency. Make sure you have phone numbers written down rather than relying on storing numbers in your cell phone.
4. Another important precaution to take in the case of a hurricane is to protect your property. According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, some ways to protect your property are to strengthen the building's outer shell (such as doors, windows, walls, and roof), remove or secure all objects inside the building, and clear outside areas around the building. To protect against flooding, waterproof your basement and elevate critical utilities such as electrical panels and heating systems.
5. Be aware of how your area, at home or at work, could be potentially affected by hurricane season. Do research and find out if you live in a flood zone. If you live close to a body of water that could easily overflow, make sure you are protected with the proper insurance coverage and that your insurance is paid well in advance.
With all the flooding that has occurred lately, we greatly encourage you to check up on your home insurance and flood insurance and make sure you have sufficient coverage.
To obtain free insurance quotes or better insurance coverage please contact an independent insurance agency like us who can offer multiple carriers.
Suzanne Brown Insurance Agency
A Texas Independent Insurance Agency with over 40 insurance carriers