In 2012, in Houston home burglaries are up 9% and Auto Thefts are up 13% according to the Chronicle. The surrounding areas too are experiencing higher crime rates.
Here are some quick tips to update your home security:
- Get a wireless home alarm system.
- A reliable wireless system is better than a landline based system because phone lines can be cut disabling the monitoring system. Unfortunately one of my clients had their phone lines cut in a burglary.
- Check your system often by calling your monitoring center to be sure they are still getting a signal.
- Install steel door frames that prevent someone from prying your door open.
- Install special locks that cannot be simply duplicated at Lowes or Home Depot. Consult a professional locksmith.
- Secure access to the backyard. Many burglars access the backyard where they have privacy to break into the home. Make sure backyard gates and pedestrian doors to your garage are always locked.
- Window locks can be very useful and affordable. They keep the windows from being lifted. This may not be recommended for all situations.
- Contact your local constable precinct or police station and ask for a free in home inspection where a specialist will recommend security measures unique to your home.
Email us at Suzanne Brown Agency about getting discounts for your alarms on your Houston home insurance, Cypress home insurance, Woodlands home insurance, Katy home insurance, and many other Texas areas.