Everyone has flood risk regardless of your flood zone.
- Three 500 year floods in the Houston area in three years.
- Since the 1970s, over 30 flood events in the Houston area.
Flood damage can happen everywhere, even in the hill country.
- Flooding is the most common natural disaster in the United States, affecting every state. Flooding can be caused by storms, dams or levees breaking, new development changing how water flows above and below ground, snow melt and much more.
- Flood damage is the worst damage I see because the water is usually full of bacteria and dirt as rain water comes into your home and soaks into your home for an extended amount of time. Building materials and personal belongings usually need to be replaced and may not be salvageable.
- Flood damage is expensive. The average flood claim is almost $80,000 while the premiums can start as low as $300/year depending on your flood zone and coverage limits.
- Paying $300 for flood insurance to pay for $80,000 in flood damage seems like a good protection.
- Low risk areas do not mean no risk for flood insurance. In fact, more than one third of flood disasters occur in flood zones X. Flood insurance helps you be financially ready if you have flood damage.
How to Prepare
- Take a home inventory - know your stuff.
- Review your coverages and deductibles.
- Be sure your insurance is paid.
- Get flood insurance.
- Prepare your home, trim trees, patch roof, stock up
Please contact our office to review your coverages, options and deductibles. As you know, we add new carriers and offer over 100 insurance carriers.
Suzanne Brown Insurance Agency
A Texas Independent Insurance Agency with over 100 insurance carriers