Can't wait to go on Summer Vacation?? Wait! Here are some things to do before you leave:
1. Turn off your water supply. The serious water damage claims that come through our office are from policyholders away on vacation. A water leak occurs and fills up the home. Neighbors end up noticing that the water is coming through your front door and windows. That can cause thousands, tens of thousands of damage to your home and personal property inside the home.
2. Secure your home. Set your alarm. Hold your mail and newspaper and have a trusted patrol or neighbor(s) watch your home.
3. Make your home look like someone is home. Set interior timers to turn on lamps. Have a neighbor park a car in your driveway.
4. Avoid identity theft. Take extra credit cards, social security cards from your purse or wallet in case you loose your wallet. I prefer to use cash instead of credit card outside of the country because of the rampant credit card fraud in other countries.
5. Pack your health insurance card in case you need medical attention. If you travel outside of the country secure International Health Insurance as your US policy may not cover ou.
6. Pack your auto insurance card in case you drive elsewhere or rent a car. If you rent a car, your current coverages will usually extend to any rental car unless you are outside the contiguous 48 states or using the vehicle for business use. In most cases you will not need to purchase the coverage the rental car company offers you unless you want coverage for the loss rental income. If you damage one of their vehicles and they lose rental income your policy would not pay it so the rental car company coverage would be useful in this effect.
7. Unplug appliances.
8. Double check doors and windows.
9. Make sure you get worldwide jewelry coverage on your rings, watches and other jewelry you are wearing abroad. Most policies only insure you for 1500 of jewelry on premise so you have to ask for more coverage if you need it.
10. Lastly make sure all of your insurance payments are paid. Automatic payments are the best method to ensure this.
Suzanne Brown Insurance Agency
A Texas Independent Insurance Agency with over 40 insurance carriers