Call Us Call or Email Us Today
Homeowners Insurance HOME Read More
Auto Insurance AUTO Read More
Renters Insurance RENTERS Read More
Business Insurance BUSINESS Read More
Life Insurance LIFE Read More
Watercraft Insurance WATERCRAFT Read More

Here are some things you should know about your credit card's  car rental collision coverage.

  • All four major credit card networks require cardholders to charge their entire rental car purchase on their credit card and decline supplemental insurance/Collision Damage Waivers (CDW) offered by the rental company in order to be eligible.
  • None of the four major networks provides coverage for the rental of: 1) exotic, expensive, or antique cars; 2) trucks; 3) vehicles with open beds; or 4) off-oad vehicles.
  • VISA is the only network that does not cover accidents occurring on dirt and gravel roads. MasterCard only covers accidents on dirt and gravel roads if they are “regularly maintained.”
  • All card networks exclude rentals that exceed specified time limits, and a lot of cards come with country limitations as well.
  • American Express is the only network not to provide coverage for renting certain popular SUVs – including the Suburban and Tahoe from Chevrolet, GMC Yukon, Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator, Toyota Land Cruiser, Lexus LX450, Range Rover, and full-sized Ford Bronco.

Here are some recommendations for consumers weighing car rental insurance:
  • Contact your insurance agent or carrier and find out if rentals are covered under your standard policy. Older policies may not offer this coverage.
  • Ask your credit card issuer what limitations apply to the car rental coverage they provide.
  • Long-term rentals might not be covered by your existing auto insurance, as time limitations may be imposed by your policy.
  • Even if your personal auto policy covers rentals, it might not apply for rentals used for business travel.
  • Rent a car of similar value to your own car to increase the likelihood that your existing coverage is adequate for the rental car.
  • If your existing policy does not offer coverage for a particular type of rental car, ask about adding an insurance rider for a small fee.
  • If you are not a car owner but drive from time to time, consider purchasing a non-owner auto insurance policy.
If you have any questions about this please contact Suzanne Brown at or call 281-558-2210 so we can help you.
Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version
© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder