With the start of hurricane season comes more rain and stormy weather. This hurricane season, make sure you have proper flood insurance, home insurance, and windstorm insurance in case we are hit by a tropical storm. Remember, it takes 30 days for your flood insurance to become effective once you have purchased it, so there is no time to waste if you do not already have flood insurance. If you are considering whether or not to purchase flood insurance, take a look at the following facts.
- Floods are the #1 natural disaster in the United States.
- A typical flood insurance policy is about $650 a year and could be lower depending on whether you live in a high, moderate, or low risk area, whereas the cost of the average flood claim in the past five years has been $42,000.
- Flooding can happen anywhere. Almost 1 in 4 flood claims are in moderate or low-risk areas.
- You might say, "If I already have home insurance, why do I need flood insurance too?" The answer is simple. Home insurance and flood insurance both cover your personal property and dwelling. However, flood insurance also allows you to cover the contents in your home, such as clothing, furniture, electrical equipment, and home appliances that are not permanently installed (portable microwaves, window air conditioning units, washers, dryers, etc.).
- Some things that are not covered by flood insurance are certain high value items (currency, precious metals or stock certificates), the property outside your home (swimming pool, hot tub, deck, patio, fence, walkway, septic system, etc.), or damage that could have been avoided (moisture, mildew, or mold that previously existed).
Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions regarding flood insurance. There is no way to get "last minute" flood insurance, so make sure you are prepared before hurricane season is in full swing. For more helpful information on hurricane season, take a look at our related blog, How to prepare for hurricane season.
To obtain free insurance quotes or better insurance coverage please contact an independent insurance agency like us who can offer multiple carriers.
Suzanne Brown Insurance Agency
A Texas Independent Insurance Agency with over 40 insurance carriers